Åbo Akademi University Research Flagship InFLAMES: Innovation Ecosystem based on the Immune System, funded by the Academy of Finland, invites applications for a fixed-term project researcher position in the field of inflammatory disorders and related diagnostics and/or drug development for a period of two years starting April 1st, 2021 or as agreed, the COVID-19 situation permitting. The fixed-termed position is full time.
About the research environment
Åbo Akademi University is an internationally acknowledged research university with an extensive responsibility for providing education in Swedish in Finland. With its international research community and its strong Nordic ties, Åbo Akademi University has an acclaimed and recognized position within research and education both nationally and internationally.
The InFLAMES Flagship is a joint effort of Åbo Akademi University, University of Turku and the associated ecosystem. It aims at being an internationally recognized, top-level, immunological research and development cluster attracting both researchers and business partners. It will produce break-through knowledge on immunological principles and diseases. The Flagship also aims to provide novel discoveries, which lead to improved diagnosis and treatment of inflammatory disorders. Innovations, internationally recognized scientists, an extensive state-of-the-art research infrastructure and intensive academy–industry interactions form the foundation of the InFLAMES Flagship research.
Work tasks and qualifications
The position will be seated at the Salminen lab, Structural Bioinformatics Laboratory, Biochemistry, Faculty of Science and Engineering (https://www.abo.fi/en/structural-bioinformatics-laboratory/) in Turku.
The group seeks a project researcher for 3D structure determination of protein-protein and protein-ligand complexes enabling rational development of anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents as well as improved tools for imaging inflammation.
- Conduct scientific research related to molecular mechanism of inflammation enabling rational development anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents as well as improved tools for imaging inflammation within the Flagship’s research profile (please see https://inflames.utu.fi/)
- Activity in applying for external research funding
- PhD in biosciences or other relevant discipline
- Doctoral degree must have been completed by the end of the application period, but no more than approx. five years before the submission deadline for applications. (Not included in the net period of five years are maternity leaves, parental leaves, military service, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication in English
- Outstanding potential and established excellence in research
- Applicants are expected to have demonstrated competency in protein expression and purification strategies using bacterial, insect, and mammalian hosts; expertise in protein crystallization, X-ray structure determination and structural analysis; experience in biophysical methods for analysis of protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions
- Strong organizational skills
- A link to a joint project of two InFLAMES researchers/research groups (https://inflames.utu.fi/inflames-researchers/)
- Particular attention will be paid to candidates’ international research experience
- Other academic achievements in addition to the doctoral degree
- Research experience in applying biochemical and biophysical research methods in drug development and/or diagnostics
Salary and work time
- The salary offered is determined in accordance with the University salary system for teaching and research personnel.
- The salary for a project researcher will be based on level 5 of the job demand level for teaching and research personnel, https://www.sivista.fi/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Salary-Scales-010820-and-010621.pdf. In addition, there is a salary component based on personal work performance, according to the general collective agreement for universities.
- The project researcher is required to work a total of 1,612 hours per year. The work tasks will be defined in detail in an annual work plan.
- A six (6) month trial period applies to the position.
Please submit your electronic application in the ÅAU recruitment system (Project Researcher within Molecular mechanism of inflammation – ÅAU recruitment), no later than March 8th, 2021 at 15:00 (Finnish time). Guidelines for the electronic application are available at https://www.abo.fi/en/instructions-for-submitting-an-application/.
The application should include the following enclosures (in English):
- Personal statement or motivation letter containing a description of your scientific background and research interests, and how they relate to research conducted at the InFLAMES Flagship (max. 2 pages)
- CV (max. 2 pages)
- Degree certificates
- List of publications with impact factors
For questions regarding the position contact Senior lecturer, Docent Tiina A. Salminen, email@example.com and (in questions concerning the recruitment process) HR Specialist Sabina Ringvall, firstname.lastname@example.org.